I’ve been meaning to crochet a skull for some time, but haven’t gotten around to finessing the anatomic details of a larger version. This mini skull is a simple pattern, perfect for all your goth sewing needs. It made a perfect replacement for the boring fabric-store tomato I’ve been using as a pincushion. See?
- white or off-white yarn (I used Red Heart Super-Saver cheapo yarn, worsted weight)
- size F/3.75mm crochet hook
- black embroidery thread for teeth and/or cranial sutures
- safety eyes (or buttons, or felt…) 10mm used here
- small piece of black felt for bottom (or just crochet the bottom closed if you’d rather)
- 1) sc x 6 in magic ring (6)
- 2) inc x 6 (12)
- 3) (sc, inc) x 6 (18)
- 4) (sc x 2, inc) x 6 (24)
- 5-8) sc around x 4 rounds (24)
- 9) (sc x 2, invdec) x 3, sc x 12 (21)… this makes the front flat and the back of the skull rounded
- 10) (sc, invdec) x 3, sc x 12 (18)
- 11) ch 1, turn, sc x 10 to make teeth
Now add eyes, stuff, and use embroidery thread to make teeth and/or cranial sutures, or add any details you’d like. This would look great as a sugar skull too. Cut a small piece of black felt and sew it into the opening at the bottom.